The Perfect Fortune 10 Headshot
1. The Perfect Headshot Engages People – When people look at our headshots, we should be looking at them as much as they’re looking at us. Our headshots should be like meeting face to face. With facial expression coaching, we can build trust and create connection with our headshots.
2. The Perfect Headshot Presents a Genuine and Settled Us – Real smiles, ranging from hints of a smile to full-on toothy smiles. A great photographer will draw genuine reactions from us, not tell us to smile. Coaching will get us genuinely reacting while look cool, calm, and collected.
3. The Perfect Headshot Showcases Our Faces – From social media to websites and printed materials, headshots are often placed into relatively small spaces. Our faces should fill a large portion of the frame, around 60% of it, so that people can see us and connect with us, with eye contact.
4. The Perfect Headshot Has No Distractions – Our LinkedIn headshots should be about our faces. Distracting clothing, backgrounds, or hair going in weird directions can take our viewers’ eyes away from our eyes.
5. The Perfect Headshot Has a Great Camera Angle – Standard headshots shot from above diminish us; people literally look down on us. And it often distorts our shoulders, making us look larger. A headshot that looks like meeting one face to face is empowering and more personal.
6. The Perfect Headshot Employs Facial Expression Coaching – We don’t know what we look like when we’re in front of a camera. A great photographer will guide us to show all the qualities we want to convey to our network: for professionals, that’s usually competent, confident, and approachable.
7. The Perfect Headshot Matches a Professional Brand – We all have a brand. If you work for Amazon, the chances are pretty good that your brand is rocking, but we should all have headshots that match our reputation.
8. The Perfect Headshot Has Accurate Colors – The best headshot can be seriously damaged if the colors are wonky. If the subject’s skin looks green or purple, it won’t look natural. The person can look ill, or kind of dead. This goes back to accurately presenting what we look like when we meet people face to face. The colors have to represent you accurately.
9. The Perfect Headshot Has Amazing Light – The perfect headshot will also, of course, be well lit. The light should make us pop a bit. Importantly, our eyes should be lit. They are the windows to our souls.
I hope you have a headshot that checks all these boxes and allows strangers to connect with you. If you need a headshot coach and photographer to get your profile cranking, there is information below.
If you are in the D.C. area, you can get high-quality headshots by booking your headshot today.
If you don’t live around D.C., please connect with me on LinkedIn with a note, or you can click here to contact me. I would be thrilled to refer you to an amazing headshot photographer, almost anywhere.
My name is Jon Meadows, and I am the headshot photographer and expression coach at High-End Headshots based in Washington, D.C. I travel throughout the country. I am honored to be an associate headshot photographer of Peter Hurley, who runs the Headshot Crew.